Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Providers Image

How do I make an appointment with a behavioral health provider?

Call 988 to connect to a counselor who can help. Our specialists provide confidential care 24/7. 

How do I get behavioral health services for a child?

Call 988 to connect to a counselor who can help you identify a provider to help address your child’s behavioral health needs.

If your child needs additional behavioral health support in school, look up your school in this under Expanded School Behavioral Health (ESBH) Services Directory

What supports are available to help family members and friends who know someone with a mental illness?

The National Alliance on Mental Illness has various resources to support family, friends or caregivers of people with mental illness.

How do I notice the signs that someone may be developing a mental illness or substance use disorder?

Recognizing the signs of mental illness and/or substance use disorders can be difficult, which is why it’s so important for everyone to understand the warning signs and risk factors. Even when friends and family of someone who may be developing a mental illness recognize that something is amiss, they may not know how to intervene or direct the person to proper treatment. Mental Health First Aid (A link to an external site) teaches how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders.

How can I get naloxone?

Naloxone, or Narcan, is a medication that reverses the symptoms of opioid overdose. It is available without a prescription at any pharmacy in Maryland. The Baltimore City Health Department can also help you access free naloxone (A link to an external site).

Narcan Nasal Spray: Naloxone
Photo: YouTube/Narcan

How do I file complaint about a behavioral health provider or BHSB?

Anyone can file a complaint with BHSB about a behavioral health provider or BHSB to report a problem or concern, such as facility conditions, quality of care, unsafe conditions, or licensing questions. Visit the File a Complaint page to file a complaint.

How can I find housing for older adults with behavioral health needs?

Click here (A link to a .docx file is present) if you are looking for information about licensed assisted living facilities that serve older adults with behavioral health needs.