Behavioral Health System Baltimore is the area’s leading expert and resource in advancing behavioral health and wellness. We help guide innovative approaches to prevention, early intervention, treatment and recovery for those who are dealing with mental health and substance use disorders to help build healthier individuals, stronger families and safer communities.
What is Behavioral Health?
Behavioral health is a term for an individual’s overall emotional and mental wellness. The term encompasses both mental health and substance use disorders.
BY THE NUMBERS
Behavioral Health in Baltimore: The Numbers
One in five people in Baltimore has a mental health disorder. Learn more about the prevalence of behavioral health disorders in Baltimore by taking a look at the data.
Number of people served in the public behavioral health system
Percent of people with a mental health disorder in Baltimore
Percent of people with a substance use disorder in Baltimore
Stories of Hope
Latif K. grew up in a neighborhood in Baltimore City. He used heroin on and off for 40 years after he first started at age 17. A nine-year stint in jail interrupted his drug use.Read More
- BHSB in the News Interview: Trauma-Informed Care with Transition-Age Youth April 18, 2019
- BHSB in the News The opioid epidemic is increasingly killing black Americans. Baltimore is ground zero. April 11, 2019
- BHSB in the News In The Hole: Can Drug-Checking Opioids Lead To Recovery? (WYPR) April 3, 2019
- May May 05 Children’s Mental Health Matters Week Children's Mental Health Matters Week is a statewide campaign to raise awareness about the importance of children's mental health. Click the link below to learn more or sign up to be a school or community champion for children's mental health!
- May May 21 Stoop Storytelling Series: Out of Stigma’s Shadow Join us for an evening of inspiring true, personal tales about mental health, mental illness, substance use disorders, and addiction. Join us for the stoop storytelling series, Out of Stigma’s Shadow: True, personal stories about mental health, mental illness, and the mysteries inside our heads.
Sign up for our newsletter for the latest events and behavioral health news!