Behavioral Health System Baltimore is the area’s leading expert and resource in advancing behavioral health and wellness. We help guide innovative approaches to prevention, early intervention, treatment and recovery for those who are dealing with mental health and substance use disorders to help build healthier individuals, stronger families and safer communities.
What is Behavioral Health?
Behavioral health is a term for an individual’s overall emotional and mental wellness. The term encompasses both mental health and substance use disorders.
BY THE NUMBERS
Behavioral Health in Baltimore: The Numbers
One in five people in Baltimore has a mental health disorder. Learn more about the prevalence of behavioral health disorders in Baltimore by taking a look at the data.
Number of people served in the public behavioral health system
Percent of people with a mental health disorder in Baltimore
Percent of people with a substance use disorder in Baltimore
Stories of Hope
Latif K. grew up in a neighborhood in Baltimore City. He used heroin on and off for 40 years after he first started at age 17. A nine-year stint in jail interrupted his drug use.Read More
- BHSB in the News Opioid overdoses in Maryland increased 14.8 percent in first six months of 2018 (Baltimore Sun) October 12, 2018
- BHSB in the News Maryland’s drug-related deaths increase for seventh straight year, reach all-time high on 2017 (Baltimore Sun) July 26, 2018
- BHSB in the News Baltimore Stabilization Center to help Counteract Opioid Epidemic (WBALTV) March 27, 2018
- Mar March 21 Healing and Resilience: The Journey Forward Conference This conference is open to behavioral health providers and other stakeholders who are interested in integrating the science of ACES and resilience into policies and practices in Baltimore City. Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the whole person impact of trauma and how to draw on the strengths of communities, culture and spiritual identities to promote healing.
- Feb February 26 Harm Reduction Advocacy Day 2019 Join advocates from across the state to bring messages of justice and dignity to MD elected officials.
Sign up for our newsletter for the latest events and behavioral health news!