Licensing and Accreditation Requirements
Community-based behavioral health programs are required to be licensed and accredited to operate in the State of Maryland. COMAR 10.63 outlines the licensing and accreditation requirements.
The following resources are available to assist providers with licensing and accreditation:
- Information on licensing and accreditation can be found on this Maryland Department of Health website.
- Contact BHSB’s Provider Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org for an agreement to cooperate in Baltimore City or with questions about the licensing and accreditation process.
Agreement to Cooperate
Before applying for licensure in Baltimore City, behavioral health providers must enter an Agreement to Cooperate with BHSB. The agreement to cooperate is a written agreement between the program and the local behavioral health authority regarding the coordination and cooperation of behavioral health services (COMAR 10.63.01.02B(5)). Agreements are required when submitting an initial application, renewal application, or request for a change to the program license.
Beacon Health Options is the Administrative Services Organization (ASO) for Maryland’s Public Behavioral Health System. The ASO pays for behavioral health services for Maryland Medicaid enrollees and people who are uninsured.
The following resources are available to assist providers with Maryland Medicaid:
- Apply for a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number. Providers need a NPI number to register with Medicaid.
- Register with Beacon Health Options through ProviderConnect to process claims, obtain claims information, and verify eligibility status.
- Sign up for Provider Alerts through Beacon Health Options. To sign up, send an e-mail request to email@example.com.